Valentines Treat Bird House | Video Tutorial & Template

19 January 2015

Hello again and today I am here to share a project for Valentines Day which includes a video tutorial (first one!!) and a template too.

Remember that awesome decoration that I made for New Year and blogged about here? Well whilst searching Pinterest I discovered some cute little bird houses. So I took the original instructions from Sam at Pootles and thought about how I could combine the two ideas and turn it into a Valentines Treat gift. I'm not claiming to invented anything new here, just taking the Bird House idea and Sam's idea and giving it a Valentine twist :)

So this is what I have come up with ~


And what a gorgeous way to showcase the new Stampin' Up! DSP Stacked with Love paper stack.

Easy to make and easy to fill with treats, you just remove the clip at the top and the roof then open the milk carton and pop the gifts inside. Close back up and gift to someone you love :)

Here is the video (watch here or on YouTube) - this is my very first time, so I have learnt a lot about setting up the tripod, filming and editing! All good fun - anyway I hope that you enjoy it and find it helpful. Please give me a thumbs up on YouTube if you would like more videos from me. In the video I give imperial measurements but if you scroll further down this post I have added the metric too.














And here is the written tutorial and the template that I mentioned in the video. You will see the details for the diagonal lines in the template and I didn't do this step in the video to save time. The diagonal lines will produce a more *triangular* top to the Bird House eaves, but either way works just fine.

I have made a template for you to follow which has the main measurements and brief instructions on how to cut and fold your card stock for the base of the Bird House. Here it is ~
After you have scored and before you fold your score lines run the card stock through your die cutting machine with your 1 1/4" circle die placed as above to create the window. This is of course optional, you can make the bird house without the window. You will need to stick a piece of window plastic/acetate slightly smaller than 2"/5 cm squared behind the window. I use the Tombow multipurpose adhesive but be careful not to smudge any onto the plastic.

Fold and burnish your score lines - for the diagonal lines you can tease them with your fingers to encourage the card stock to bend in the right place.

Apply sticky strip to the small area on the right hand side above the part you have cut off. Also apply sticky strip to the flap below the window and the flap on the far left but on the BACKSIDE of each flap (apply along the bottom edge).  Remove the sticky strip on the right hand side and match up the two sides to form the box shape. At the bottom fold in the two sides, remove the sticky strip from the back flap and glue down. Finally remove the sticky strip from the front flap and glue down.

Tease up the top into the milk carton shape using the score lines to manipulate the card stock. You should now have a cute bird box taking shape!

Still with me? Great - let's finish off and make the roof.

You need a piece of card stock measuring 5" by 2" and this needs to be scored at 2 1/4", 2 1/2" and 2 3/4". Fold this in the middle and create valley and peak folds to form a triangle that will match your birdhouse roof shape. Attach this to your birdhouse with a clip or a clothespin.

Finally add your tiles to the roof to decorate. I used 2" square pieces that I die cut the edge with a scalloped die. Secure these evenly on the roof with sticky strip or liquid glue. I used patterned paper, but you could also use plain card stock and distress the edges with ink if you wished.

Now the fun part - decorate your bird box - isn't the bird punch amazing :)


Of course you can't just make one! The only thing missing from mine is the chocolate, no I haven't eaten it, I just haven't bought any yet! Had way too much over Christmas!

Dimensions ~

Card stock Bird House

8 1/4 x 6 1/4" (21 x 16 cm)
Score on the LONG side at 2, 4, 6 and 8" (5, 10, 15 and 20 cm)
Score on the SHORT side at 2, 4 and 6" (5, 10 and 15 cm)

Card stock Roof & Tiles

Roof - 5 x 2" (12.6 x 5 cm)
Score on the LONG side at 2 1/4, 2 1/2 and 2 3/4" (5.2, 6.2 and 7.2 cm)
Tiles - 2" (5 cm) squares of DSP/ card stock



Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog










Stampin' Up! is currently holding it's Sale-A-Bration. What is it? Each £45/60€/$50 that you spend at Stampin' Up! gets you a free product from the Sale-a-Bration 2015 catalogue. There are some amazing products to chose from - stamps, paper and embellishments.

If you have got this far and are not totally confused thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed my project and you will be inspired to make a Bird House too. If you have any comments I would love to hear them. Have a great day.x

If you enjoyed this project please use the code W9CXZCJY to support me (this code should be entered in the box that reads *Do you have a hostess code?* on the Stampin' Up! checkout page). All hostess codes correctly entered will earn a free gift direct from me. If you use this code and your order is at least £120/150€ excluding shipping I will send you a free *make and take kit* of my choice. If your order is over £150/200€, please do not use this code as YOU become the hostess and get the Rewards. Learn more about the code here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, however we have a no spam policy so your comment will be published after moderation, thanks for understanding.x

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |